Posted 8 years, 3 months ago at 5:37 pm. 7 comments
The German toy maker – Schuco – was founded in 1912 by Heinrich Müller and the businessman Heinrich Schreyer. Originally known as Spielzeugfirma Schreyer & Co, the company’s name was change to Schuco in 1921.
Schuco toys are noted for their ingenious mechanisms and were highly successful in the 1930’s and into the 1950’s.
In a series of changing ownership, Schuco went from bankruptcy in 1976 to being owned by an English company (Dunbee-Combex-Marx) who eventually went bankrupt in 1980. In the mid-1990’s another German toy company acquired the rights and by 1996 Schuco toys were once again on the market producing re-issues of the original toys.
Schuco toys during the 1930’s-50’s were marked either ‘Germany’ or US Zone Germany’. Any other mark is a new toy produced during the 1990’s or later.